Wednesday, March 27, 2013

For You, For Me

 
In the Name of the Father and of the Son and the Holy Ghost. Amen.

Today we again observe Good Friday as we have for years, though in different surroundings. But yet how many of us stop to ask ourselves, "Why does our Savior suffer such bitter agony and torment?" Have we stopped to ponder that it is because of His love for us poor condemned sinners and because of God's terrible righteous wrath and love? Our Lord Jesus, His only begotten Son, was alone capable of fulfilling God's righteous law, opening the gates of heaven for us and closing the mouth of hell. Not through any merit of our own but of His boundless love for us He did all this, ...that whosoever believeth in him should not perish, but have everlasting life. (John 3:16)

Therefore on this day, let us again behold our Savior as He kneels down to pray in the Garden of Gethsemane. When the agony of our sins is upon Him the torment is so great that even the sweat from His holy body is as great drops of blood that fall onto the sin-cursed earth. And why does He pray in such agony? Why does He say, Father, if thou be willing, remove this cup from me: nevertheless not my will, but thine, be done. (Luke 22:42) An angel from heaven appeared unto Him to strengthen Him.

Then let us follow Him as He is taken before the chief priests and scribes and the elders of the people, before Pontius Pilate and Herod. He is mocked, spit upon, blasphemed, ridiculed and cursed, and beaten with manifold stripes, from which wounds holy blood already is flowing. Also a crown of thorns is pressed upon His head causing blood to flow from it. Then He is led away to be nailed on the cross where He cries out, Father, forgive them; for they know not what they do. (Luke 23:34) And after a time He dies saying, Father, into thy hands I commend my spirit... (Luke 23:46)

Is it not a heart-rending sight to see our own Creator suffer so bitterly for us? And when we realize that we were there also murdering Him with our sins, does it not cause us to cry out, "O God, have mercy on me, a sinner. Do not let me sink into Hell in my unbelief. My Savior has suffered so much agony for me already, don't let me grieve Him any longer, but smite me with Your mighty hand so I will humble myself to ask, What must I do to be saved? Give me the grace of repentance that I could be a joy to my loving Savior,  that I would follow His holy footsteps in faith through all the storms of life and then, when my earthly race is run, be taken into the glory of heaven to sing praises amid that great blood-washed throng forever and ever." Amen.

the late Wiljo Kandoll

No comments: